My How, When + Why: Green Juice

by Corinne on July 12, 2012

Everything I’ve learned about green juices and smoothies has been through my pal, marvelous mentor + client, Kris Carr. While in the trenches at Crazy Sexy Life headquarters a couple years back, our crew juiced everyday at the office (or picked up juice at a local joint). It was just part of daily life. Period. That was four years ago. Today, I’m in Baltimore full time, Skype-working with Ms. Kris, and raising a one-year-old. Life has changed, but my craving for green juice has not.

It wasn’t until my vacation in June that I reconnected with green juice, after a year of falling off the wagon time and time again. With a juice bar just down the road in Bar Harbor, ME, there was no excuse for skipping my daily green juice and I was happy to oblige. After seven straight days, I was hooked again and ready to pull my juicer out of hiding.

Since then, except for the power outage fiasco, I’ve juiced every day. Since your body doesn’t have to digest the fiber in your veggie juice, your cells receive an instant infusion of vitamins, nutrients, and all that other good stuff. Use organic produce whenever you can!

My favorite green juice:

Makes 20-25 ounces

2 cucumbers

1 head romaine

2-3 stalks celery

1 apple

1 lime (peeled)

1 1-inch piece of ginger

This is just my variation of Kris’ daily juice recipe (she is more gutsy with the greens, I like a milder + sweeter juice). Usually, I drink half right away and put the other half in a lidded mason jar (yet another Kris tip).

Here’s why I love juicing:

❤ Instant focus + energy boost

❤ Better digestion

❤ Decreased junk food cravings, less over-eating

❤ Improved mood + less mood swings = inner balance

❤ Stronger immune system, less susceptible to colds, flu, etc.

I’ve traveled a lot this summer and I love being able to pick up a Blue Print green juice at Whole Foods while on the road. Yes, making and buying veggie juice costs extra money, but I compensate by rarely going to bars (alcohol is pretty pricey too!) and opting for regular coffee vs. soy lattes when at a cafe (most of the time). Saving a dollar here and there adds up and I like to put those extra bucks toward long term health and instant energy.

The Tools

I’ve been using a Breville Ikon Multi-Speed juicer for the past four years and it’s never let me down (looks like their newer model is the Juice Fountain Elite). There are countless juicers out there and you’ll find a breakdown of all of them in Kris’ juice + smoothie ebook. If you’re not sure if you want to commit to a juicer yet, visit a juice bar or pick up a bottled green juice at Whole Foods every day for a week (make sure your green juice is raw + 100% veggies/fruits–no added anything!). See how you feel. I bet you’ll make the investment after that. If you’re looking for a more affordable juicer, I recommend the Breville Compact Juicer ($139).

More questions? Just ask! Now, excuse me while I go make a green juice.

❤,
Corinne

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Heather July 12, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Thanks for posting this, Corinne! Sorry to bombard you with questions in Instagram last night. So it is definitely a lot different than the green monster smoothies–it’s JUICE, not a smoothie. I see! We don’t have a juicer but I am certainly intrigued. Might have to give it a try. We don’t have a Whole Foods here (as you know), but hey, maybe Wegmans? :)

2 Corinne July 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Unfortunately, Wegs doesn’t have fresh juice, but there’s a juice bar at Breathe Yoga in Pittsford. Wanna meet up for juice when I’m in town? :)

3 Joy Beth Cosby July 14, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Corrine,

I have so enjoyed reading your posts, especially the one before this post in which you discussed your being vegan and your husband being an omnivore and how you make it work. I am in the same set-up; I am a very new vegan (I’ve been vegetarian for two years and cheese and dairy were tough to give up, but I finally made the commitment and am much happier for it, so I feel like I can finally, officially claim vegan as my title) and luckily, my sweet husband totally supports me. :) He does not fully want to give up meat, but we no longer have it in the house at all, and he often orders vegetarian or vegan dishes when we go out. Excitedly, he tries vegan dishes I prepare from fabulous cookbooks such as Chloe’s Kitchen. I am very thankful for my partner in life, as the rest of my family is pretty skeptical and critical, and it seems like you have a wonderful partner as well. Thank you for this site! I have added your wonderful writing to my bookmarks and look forward to clicking on your link each day. This particular post inspires me and I’m about to get up off this couch and go juice the greens I bought a couple of days ago. :) You are an inspiration, Corrine. I am grateful that I found you when I linked over from an article you contributed on VegNews. :)

4 Corinne July 14, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Hi Joy! Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. It sounds like you have a wonderful husband:) I’m so happy to hear that you’re having a positive experience going vegan. The judgement can be difficult emotionally, but hang in there! I’ll be writing more about this topic in the coming weeks.

5 Joy Beth Cosby July 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Thanks, Corinne, and I’m so sorry I misspelled your name earlier! I hate misspelling any word or name as I was an English major and I am a grammar fanatic! I didn’t realize until just now, and I apologize. :( Thank you for your response; I so enjoy your posts and look forward to what you’ll be sharing in the coming weeks. :)

6 Corinne July 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm

No worries about the name spelling! xo

7 Jess February 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Hello! I just came across your blog and I really love it. My husband and I did the Kris Carr cleanse last year and had a successful time. We are already vegan, but I do struggle with juicing. I can’t get over the wasted fiber/food and general cost. What do you do with all of the pulp from your juicing? Do you throw it away? Use it in something else? Even with composting, I find it is a lot of food to essentially get rid of. Thanks for any advice you can offer. I’d love to juice more often :)